Re: [css] Proposal: making Shorthand Hex Colors even shorter (16 grayscale shades)

From: Markus Bruch <macinfo@arcor.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:32:54 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org

Am 02.08.2011 um 11:32 schrieb Antony Kennedy:

> I like this idea. To extend it to 255 shades of grey you could also use two characters, like #ac.

Ah great idea, I didn't think of that!

If I understand it right you intend it to work like this:

	.gray { color: #acacac; } 	-->  	 	.gray { color: #ac }

(Just store one of the 3 equal rgb-channnel bytes; at rendering put this one value back in any of the r-, g- and b-channels.)

This addition would round the idea off nicely to render either 16-shade or 256-shade gray color.