Re: [css3-images] Making gradients readable

Addressing just the linear-gradient stuff first.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:25 PM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> For consistency, I suggest that linear gradients switch from 'from' to 'to'
> (which,
> quite frankly, works better with my brain, which interprets a fixed-length
> gradient
> 'to bottom' as being attached to the bottom side rather than being attached
> to the
> top side):
>
>  linear-gradient( [ <angle> | from <side-or-corner> ]
>                   as <color-stop> [, <color-stop>]+ )
>
>  linear-gradient(from top as gray, transparent 4em)

We have a WG resolution to use "to <keyword>" instead of "from
<keyword>" or bare "<keyword>".  So that's not changing unless the WG
revolts and overthrows the chairs.

> And while I'm at it, I'm going to toss in the idea that linear-gradient(),
> like
> radial-gradient(), should be able to take an explicit size argument up
> front,
> because if I'm resizing a fixed-length gradient that has 15 color stops from
> 5em
> to 7em, I'd rather not change all the color stops.
>
>  linear-gradient( <length>?
>                   [ <angle> | from <side-or-corner> ]
>                   as <color-stop> [, <color-stop>]+ )
>
>  /* photocopy edge effect */
>  linear-gradient(4em from top as
>                  0% #00, 20% #4F, 27% #6F, 60% #E6, 67% #F0, 74% #F5, 100%
> #FF)

This is a potentially useful feature, but I don't think it's justified
to add at this point.  I'd like to avoid further mutating the feature
set at this point.  I'll note it as a level 4 improvement.