Re: [css3-images] asymmetric radial gradients

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:00:45 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:14 PM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> I was looking through Brad's comments on the radial gradient syntax, and one
> of the
> things that stood out was the broken expectation that moving the center
> would shift
> the center of the gradient while keeping the outer rim the same -- an effect
> that
> would create an asymmetric radial gradient, like this:
>  http://www.amanith.org/images/Radgrad.png
>
> I'm not saying we should add this capability right now, but I'm a little
> concerned
> that we might be locking ourselves in here. If we were to add asymmetric
> radial
> gradients in the future, how would that look? How would it interact with the
> symmetric radial gradient syntax we have now?

The original -webkit-gradient() function allowed this functionality.
I think it's a useful piece of functionality, but it complicated the
syntax enough that I felt it wasn't quite useful enough to justify.

I plan to look at it for later.  Brian's suggestion shows how the
literate syntax makes it easier to understand when you're potentially
throwing around three pairs of lengths.  So, level 4 sounds pretty
good.