Re: [css3-images] gradients and i18n

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:46:36 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:24 PM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> The last one is not just an i18n problem: using the horizontal axis is
> pretty arbitrary, what if I want the vertical one?

I originally had a way to specify the axis; you could provide an
<angle> along with the position.  The use-case for it was *very* niche
for the complexity it brought, so I dropped it.

> A problem that is both i18n and non-i18n related: what if I want a circular
> gradient whose radius is farthest-side along the inline (or horizontal)
> axis?

You can't currently limit which sides you're considering for the
closest/farthest-side keywords.  We can address that in the future,
but I believe it's niche enough that we don't need to worry about that
right now.  I'd rather not reopen any discussions for feature changes
unless I've very clearly gotten something majorly wrong.