[css3-flexbox] reasons for flex-order being <number> instead of <integer>?

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:14:42 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hi www-style,

In the current flexbox ED, flex-order is defined as a <number> -- I'm
curious, why does it use <number> and not <integer>?

Note that the examples in the spec all use integer values.  Also, the
somewhat-similar "z-index" property takes <integer> values[1], and it
seems like it'd be nice to be consistent with that property.  (A much
earlier version of the flexbox spec also used <integer> for the
predecessor to this property, "box-ordinal-group".[2])

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I'm rehashing earlier discussion. I did
do a bit of searching to see if this had been discussed before -- I
found confirmation that the choice of <number> is intentional[3] but I
couldn't find the reasoning behind that.

~Daniel

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#z-index
[2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-flexbox-20090723/#propdef-box-ordinal-group