Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 18:01:03 -0400
To: Fran├žois REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
CC: Brian Blakely <anewpage.media@gmail.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
On 10/26/11 5:45 PM, Fran├žois REMY wrote:
> Are you basicly saying that since no solution is perfect we should have
> no solution to the problem at all?

No, I'm saying that we have existing solutions to the problem that work
better.  In my opinion.

> To me, it seems like the physical size of a device is (nearly)
> sufficient enough to adapt your design (Input/Output methods available
> should be taken in consideration too). If you want to challenge that
> idea, feel free, but come up with cases where having physical
> measurements of the device is a bad thing or don't help to solve a
> layout choice problem.

Uh...  Eyeglass displays have already been mentioned.  Have you actually
_read_ the thread?

In practice, what you want for display of text is CSS px and what you
want for sizing interactive elements like buttons depends on the I/O
method (which is sort of loosely correlated with device size, but not
all that well).  Using device size as a proxy for "how does the user go
about clicking a button" seems like a strictly worse approach than just
having a media query that exposes that information, say.

-Boris