Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

*10pt text is unreadable on a monitor at TV-distance viewing, and is
excessively large on a hand-held device with a high-res screen capable of
displaying crisp text at smaller sizes.*

David, this is exactly why factual physical units are really, really
important and useful.  A screen that will be viewed at TV-distance is likely
a large display (e.g. a TV).  In this situation, media queries would make
said text larger as we can safely make this assumption (larger screen,
larger distance) in nearly all cases.

We can make all kinds of accurate assumptions in this way.  A 3"-wide screen
is probably a touchscreen phone and should have big, finger-friendly UI
elements (we can enhance this prediction by detecting touch events).

You make a case by mentioning a far-future technology like wall screens that
are feasibly 10 or more feet wide, but the same case could be made for
non-rectangular or holographic displays to undermine anything in CSS.  The
supposition that subtended units are more useful for the lion's share of
actual web design simply isn't true.  I wouldn't debate their utility, but I
think the goal for units like "cm" should be to abolish old ambiguities, not
introduce a new one.

-Brian