Re: Better Variables through Custom Properties

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:14:55 -0700
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, there's not a single downside to using Roland's
>> suggestion instead of the current suggested grammar, and a lot of
>> upsides.  What do others think?
>
> You introduce a dependency between properties in terms of how they compute.
>  We don't have that currently, right?

Sure we do.  That's precisely what the "computed value" stage is
*for*.  You can't resolve any property using the "em" unit until
you've computed the font-size property, etc.

Similarly, a property using a variable wouldn't be able to resolve its
computed value until the associated property computes.  (data-*
properties would compute to their specified values, + any variable
calls that they themselves make.)