Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:23:13 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> 3. Introduce a switch that just decouples the px and other physical
>> units, so the latter return to being "real" physical units.
>
> Switch at what granularity?
>
> This seems like it would lead to massive confusion, esp. when values are set
> via the CSSOM or come from different stylesheets and suddenly "pt" means
> different things in different contexts.

Global scope.  Yes, it would lead to confusion if other stylesheets
were included which assumed the normal anchoring, but them's the
breaks.  Author your sheets consistently.

> If your real issue with #1 is conversions, then we could introduce "true"
> parallels of all the physical units.  But are there actually use cases for
> using true physical "pt", say?

Apparently there are use-cases for true physical "in", given Brian's
previous emails.  If "in" and "mm" are both useful, I would assume
that "cm" is useful too.  And at that point it would be less confusing
to just do all the physical units for consistency.