Re: CSS pagination and adaptive column layout (Opera demo)

From: Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 08:52:26 +0200
To: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com> writes:

> * Animated scroll-into-view => I edited the HTML source to add an
> anchor somewhere in the middle of the content, and I am glad to see
> that typing-in a URL with the corresponding fragment identifier
> results in the correct page being displayed. However, I am concerned
> that the animated transition which reveals a new page gets extremely
> annoying with large text bodies (as it is typically the case with
> e-books). Is the duration of the animation fixed, regardless of the
> number of pages to flip? As far as I can tell, this animation is not
> authored, it is dictated by the user-agent, right? (this would be the
> same behavior as regular horizontal/vertical "scroll-into-view", which
> some web browsers animate, whilst others don't)

Our current page transition behavior is hard-coded, and with the way it
works, you don't have to worry about large text bodies, since the
animation time is hard-coded to 200ms, no matter how far you
jump. Having said that, animating then you have actually typed (or
clicked on, from a different URL) a #fragment URL is probably annoying
no matter how fast it is. So it perhaps it should be considered a bug.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----
---- Office: +47 23693206 ---- Cellular: +47 93440112 ----