Re: [css3-selectors] Explanation of what an id is should be non-normative

On 10/19/11 8:18 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> There is a very simple way to read specifications: if they or their re-
> ferences say anything that contradicts something then there is a problem
> and if there is nothing that contradicts anything then there isn't.

Oh, there's a problem in this case.  At least two people so far have
independently read this text to mean that in this testcase:

     * { color: red }
     #foo { color: green }

should have a green first line and a red second line because the
requirement that IDs be unique is normative CSS requirement...

> It's perfectly normal to have text that establishes context to help readers
> understand the requirements and we are not going to mark every sentence
> that doesn't contain a conformance requirement as non-normative

I'm not asking for us to do this for every sentence.  I'm asking for us
to do this for a particular part of the spec that is actively confusing
people.

-Boris