Re: Comments from PFWG on CSS3 Speech Module

Hello,

Although the "louder" and "softer" keywords could be defined as corresponding decibel offsets, I would prefer to keep the current simple syntax, not only because it matches the SSML model, but also because of the particular significance of the existing, similar-sounding keywords (which are mapped to user-controlled parameters instead of fixed values). Note that there is already an informative paragraph describing the effect of +/- 6dB in layman terms, to make it simpler for authors to work-out effects such as "louder" or "softer" by using decibel offsets.

Regarding the potentiality of highly-contrasted content: as with any presentational features, authors may indeed produce horrible mixes of font size, colors, animations, etc. I am afraid that a technical specification cannot enforce good authoring practices. As for making recommendations, I think that this is out-of-scope as far as the CSS Speech Module is concerned. Doesn't this fit within the realm of WCAG? (I also suggested a W3C Community Group in previous emails, to kick-start the development of cross-format content and user-agent guidelines)

Your last concern is, I believe, already addressed by the current specification: the volume keywords map to actual values that are defined by the user, or at least by the default user-agent configuration. This is why the dynamic range is configurable as per the listener's environment (as described in the informative paragraph).

Please let us know whether this answer is satisfactory.
Many thanks!
Regards, Daniel