Re: [css3-writing-modes] height:auto with orthogonal flows

On 09/21/2011 03:22 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> 1. Whether to use the extent or the measure of the (intial) containing block is unclear. The first paragraph here seems
> correct to me and the second is wrong. We shouldn't always use the measure in the case of orthogonal flows.
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#orthogonal-flows says "For example, if a vertical block is placed inside a
> horizontal block, then when calculating the physical height (which is the measure) of the child block the physical height of
> the parent block is used to calculate the measure of the child's containing block, even though the physical height is the
> extent, not the measure, of the parent block."
>
> This seems to contradict Appendix D, which says "If the available measure is infinite, then a fallback measure is used in
> place of the available measure in this calculation. (In the case of orthogonal flows, this is the measure of the initial
> containing block.)"

Ok, changed to

  # then when calculating the physical height (which is the
  # measure) of the child block the physical height of the parent
  # block is used as the child's containing block measure, even
  # though the physical height is the extent, not the measure, of
  # the parent block.

> 2. "7.3.1. Auto-sizing in Orthogonal Flows
> If the computed measure of an element establishing an orthogonal flow is ‘auto’, then the used measure is calculated as
> the fit-content (shrink-to-fit) size using the initial containing block's size as the available measure."
>
> We should instead use the available size if there is one and only use the initial containing block's size if there isn't one.

> Using the initial containing block's size as the spec currently says to would result in the inner div overflowing outside of
> the outer div. It seems clear to me that any developer would expect the inner div to be 100px tall.

Hmm, my concern then is this case:

     Long blockquote whose max-content measure is 900px.

But chances are such content would be auto-height anyway. So let me make
that change and check with Murakami-san if it makes sense. :)

~fantasai