Re: Comments from PFWG on CSS3 Speech Module

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:22:23 +0100
Cc: www-style@w3.org, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, List WAI Liaison <wai-liaison@w3.org>, List WAI PF <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
To: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>

On 11 Oct 2011, at 20:25, Janina Sajka wrote:
> 7.)	voice-duration: <time>;
>
> This is another property that seems to provide very little value. For example, what would be the expected behavior given the following CSS:
>
> p { voice-duration: 1s; }
>
> Given the following markup.

> The first paragraph would be understandable, but should the second paragraph really be pronounced over a duration of 1 second? Probably not. Implementation of this would be tricky, too. Have any other vendors have expressed an interest in its implementation?
>
> voice-duration is marked as at-risk, and we support dropping it from the final specification.

I agree that there are potential implementation and usability issues, thus why the 'voice-duration' property is marked "at-risk". I believe this was introduced into CSS3 Speech in order to match the SSML feature-set more closely, however personally I am not aware of any real-world usage.
For tracking purposes, I am marking this comment as "closed / invalid": there does not seem to be an issue with the property specification per-say (which is aligned with the SSML recommendation).
Let us know if this is a satisfactory response.
Kind regards, Daniel