Re: [css21] Section should be clarified

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 22:26:14 -0400
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>

Le Mar 11 octobre 2011 1:36, Boris Zbarsky a écrit :
> On 10/10/11 11:01 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> I can create and add testcases to the test suite on this. I've checked
>> and
>> there is none specific for such.
> That would be very much appreciated!
>>> Unfortunately, it's apparently not that clear, since UAs disagree on
>>> the
>>> behavior.  Gecko and Presto implement what seems clear to me.  Trident
>>> and WebKit implement something else, where column widths don't actually
>>> seem to include paddings.  Or something.

After examining this testcase

I came up with this testcase:

The very strange thing (deliberately coded) is that the used and computed
width for td#cell is -20px (negative width!) in both Chrome 14.0.835.202
(when inspected with Web developer tool) and in Konqueror 4.7.2 (when
inspected with DOMtree viewer). The 60px horizontal padding "is forced" to
reach a 40px width; so, the content must become -20px wide.

Somehow, in their respective logic, width of column = width of cell +
horizontal padding of such cell. Some browsers treat such width of cell as
something that is shrinkable, compressible.

Boris, I think this sentence

2. Otherwise, a cell in the first row with a value other than 'auto' for
the 'width' property determines the width for that column.
§ Fixed table layout

should be replaced with

2. Otherwise, a cell in the first row with a value other than 'auto' for
the 'width' property (with its left and right padding, if any) determines
the width for that column.

regards, Gérard
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite