Re: [css21] The 'inherit' keyword in shorthand properties

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 08:26:22 -0700
To: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/2011/10/12-css-irc#T16-47-22
>
> "RESOLVED: accept TabAtkins and fantasai's proposal such that inherit turns
> the specified value into the parent's computed value"
>
> I just realized that this doesn't necessarily make any sense for shorthand
> properties. In fact, most of chapter 6 seems to operate under an unstated
> assumption that each declaration setting a shorthand has been converted to
> equivalent declarations for the corresponding longhand properties.

Do you mean because it's possible that the computed values of the
longhand properties end up not forming a valid value for the shorthand
when combined?  Or just that shorthands don't really have computed
values, and are just mechanisms to pipe values into the longhand
properties?

> There is a sentence about how declaring a shorthand to be !important is
> equivalent to declaring all of its sub-properties to be !important. Probably
> there should be similar wording for 'inherit'.

That sounds reasonable.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?