[css3-values] 1/100 factor on vh/vw/vm units

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:00:19 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
A recent discussion that probably should have been on the public
list:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2011OctDec/0041.html
included discussion of the 'vh', 'vw', and 'vm' (perhaps soon to be
rename to 'vmin' or removed) units.  It included examples in which
working group members did not notice that their examples were off by
a factor of 100 (using 0.5vh when 50vh was intended).

So I'd like to raise the general point:  css3-values defines a 'vh'
as 1/100 of the viewport height, and a 'vw' as 1/100 of the viewport
width, and 'vm' as the smaller of 'vh' or 'vw'.  I think this factor
of 1/100 is confusing given the names of the units, and the fact
that a bunch of WG members failed to notice this error might be a
sign that the spec is taking the wrong approach, and we should
eliminate the 1/100 bit and make a 'vh' be the height of the
viewport (and likewise for 'vw' and 'vm'/'vmin').

-David