Re: Strawman proposal for UTR #50: Unicode Properties for Vertical Text Layout

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:47:56 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
On 10/04/2011 08:05 AM, Eric Muller wrote:

> Egyptian hieroglyphs: the "native" use is a 2D layout. A linearization is already an approximation, and it was mostly done in
> alphabetic scripts, so horizontal.

While linearization is an approximation, Egyptian hieroglyphs were also written
vertically, and in such cases they remained upright. It seems logical to me that
linearizing it vertically should therefore keep the glyphs upright. It might be
ugly, but it will not be blatantly wrong, as rotating the glyphs would be.

~fantasai