Re: [css21] Section should be clarified

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:01:26 -0400
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

Le Mar 26 avril 2011 17:49, Boris Zbarsky a écrit :
> The current text for determining column width in section says:
>    A column element with a value other than 'auto' for the 'width'
>    property sets the width for that column.
>    Otherwise, a cell in the first row with a value other than 'auto' for
>    the 'width' property determines the width for that column. If the
>    cell spans more than one column, the width is divided over the
>    columns.
> Given that section 17.5 further says:
>    The edges of the rows, columns, row groups and column groups in the
>    collapsing borders model coincide with the hypothetical grid lines on
>    which the borders of the cells are centered.
>    In the separated borders model, the edges coincide with the border
>    edges of cells.
> it seems pretty clear to me that what this means is that the way a cell
> "determines" (per its column width is that the column width is
> set to the width of the cell plus its left padding plus its right
> padding plus half its left border plus half its right border in the
> collapsing border model, and the same but using full border widths in
> the separated border model.

Hello Boris,

This also seems clear to me.

I can create and add testcases to the test suite on this. I've checked and
there is none specific for such.

> Unfortunately, it's apparently not that clear, since UAs disagree on the
> behavior.  Gecko and Presto implement what seems clear to me.  Trident
> and WebKit implement something else, where column widths don't actually
> seem to include paddings.  Or something.

Which version of Presto did you use? Which version of WebKit did you use?
Same question for Trident.

I do not reach your conclusion with those testcases:

Opera 11.51 fails both testcases.

I have a few other testcases.

I have not checked yet the bug reports you mentioned.

regards, Gérard
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite