RE: [css3-images] simplifying radial gradients - Lea Verou gallery

You are incorrect.  Your proposal doesn't *directly* support *in gradients* the expressed capabilities.  Gradients are supported as a flavor of <image> which is exposed by CSS3 Images more broadly than just backgrounds.  As such, using background properties to simulate behavior is an apples to oranges comparison.

If you'd like to propose that [1] we remove "gradients as <image>" and [2] add back "gradients as part of the background-image grammar", we can have that discussion.  But I haven't yet heard that proposed.