Re: Selecting the parent of an element

Roland Steiner wrote:

> My main question in all of this is: has anyone thought about how to
> actually implement this without a) traversing the whole tree twice (once
> to set selected styles, once to do inheritance), or b) do a full subtree
> search every time on matching :has()? Additionally, how to handle
> updating of nodes - it seems ANY node could be affected by changes
> ANYWHERE in the DOM.

That was essentially why this feature was rejected many years ago, and
probably has been rejected several times since. The other problem is
indefinite lookahead.  You are more or less forced to render then
backtrack, because there are some pages that never actually terminate,
but grow with the addition of real time data.

(My experience also, is that most things that keep being proposed and
rejected, eventually get accepted!)

--
David Woolley