Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:23:26 -0400
To: Shane Stephens <shans@google.com>
CC: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, divya manian <divya.manian@gmail.com>, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 10/6/11 8:26 PM, Shane Stephens wrote:
> Whatever optimizations are made in the presence of a "display: none" subtree can
> continue to be made, with the results applying to animation state

The problem is that the optimizations include "don't determine
'animation-name'".

> then directly animated properties on B should
> report with their current interpolated values when I call
> getComputedStyle.

Interpolated between what and what?  When should the animation be
considered as starting?

> Basically I would propose that under the influence of "display: none"
> animations should continue to run and be allowed to start and stop.

The starting and stopping is the problem.

> (2) there are no unexpected performance overheads when running display:
> none animations

But there are.  If you want to determine the value of 'animation-name',
you have to perform selector matching on the descendants of the
display:none node.

-Boris