Re: [css-shaders] subdivision for transparency

On Oct 4, 2011, at 4:05 PM, Gregg Tavares (wrk) wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
> As for filters, I was really hoping that we'd be able to specify them as purely a 2d effect - as in whatever is composited in the end is a quad, not a mesh, even if the filter itself uses a mesh.
>
> I totally agree. The result of a "custom" filter primitive is flattened to an image. Nothing else makes sense, even within a filter chain
>
> That's fine in all you want to achieve is filtering effects but that doesn't fit with the examples shown by Adobe. They're morphing the content in 3d.
> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/html5/articles/css-shaders.html#1

In those demos, I don't see any examples of either the filtered elements interacting with other rendered content, or interacting with filtered elements. Even the folded map demo, the map unfolds (a css filter effect) and then the interaction takes place on the flat image. Having it slanted in 3D can be done with CSS Transforms and perspective, both of which behave correctly with interaction.

> In one case they're morphing something to look like a newspaper. It unfolds but is still interactive once it unfolds.

Which can be done with a combination of filters and CSS Transforms.

> In another case they're morphing a twitter feed a kind of wavy shape and they are interacting with it while it's in this wavy shape. I don't see why the user would think it's not 100% interactive.

All I see them doing is scrolling, which doesn't require picking (the demo obviously scrolls using the wheel since the mouse cursor is nowhere near the scroll bar).

> So it seems like for this proposal to be generally useful that content needs to able to be interactive (ie, the user needs to able to click on stuff just like they can with 3d css). Otherwise the number of use cases for it seems exceedingly small.

I'm not sure Adobe even has this ability. I certainly don't see them using it in these demos.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com