Re: [css-shaders] CSS shaders for custom filters (ACTION-3072)

On 6/10/2011 3:51 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Charles Pritchard<chuck@jumis.com>  wrote:
>
>> As an author, I will have to write additional code to manage extent
>> information on a filter that is applying a user-controlled displacement map
>> .
>>

> That code can be extremely hard to write, and if written the obvious way it
> repeats the content of the vertex shader.
>
> I really want to find a way to automate this.
>
> Rob

I envisioning issues when filter effects are applied after user events
like :hover. Dean mentioned :hover in the companion thread [1] (somehow
this thread got split).

How does a coordinate transform API (if I using correct terminology)
maps when a filter effect is applied with an event like :hover?

Are filters transitional? If so, how is any mapping and the timing of a
transition (or animation) sequenced?

I believe that before anything is developed fully, much testing with
animation and transforms must be done. Dean mentioned testing with
animation on webkit-dev [2].

I can help with this (testing with animation and transforms) but I still
trying to get one filter to work. The code in example 3 of 3.2.1 for CSS
Shaders is foreign to me. For me I would expect to use something like
this code.

filter: url(distort.svg#distort);

Also, is a vendor prefix required like -webkit-filter?

Alan

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Oct/0092.html
2. https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-September/018034.html
3.