Re: [css-shaders] CSS shaders for custom filters (ACTION-3072)

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com> wrote:

> To the question about the effect of shaders on input that goes through
> filters, Dean provided the answer I would have given. This is an issue the
> group has discussed even before shaders, because it exists regardless of
> shaders. Shaders may make things more complex (e.g., points may be moved
> in a 3D space and obscure each other before being projected back in 2D
> space) but the core issue is the same. Dean mentioned he had an action on
> this and I am happy to work with him on it if he would like to collaborate
> on a proposal. The reason this is not discussed in the proposal is because
> it is not a new issue for filter effects, but may be the proposal should
> have said so.

This is true, but offsets in existing SVG filters have typically not been
used to create visual geometry changes. E.g., people use feOffset to create
drop shadows and similar effects, but rarely to translate content since the
usual transforms are easier to use. I can only recall seeing one demo where
feDisplacementMap was used to create a geometric effect.

On the other hand, your demos show that much of the power of custom filters
is in visual geometry changes, such as transforming and warping content. So
I think custom filters make the handling of events a much more urgent issue.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our