Re: User Agents Do Not Implement Absolute Length Units, Places Responsive Design in Jeopardy

From: Alex Danilo <alex@abbra.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:49:21 +1000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: Brian Blakely <anewpage.media@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
Hi Boris,

--Original Message--:
>On 10/5/11 2:55 PM, Brian Blakely wrote:
>> In order to deliver appropriate layouts to, for example, a mobile media
>> player, web-enabled TV, and a stadium jumbotron with a single codebase,
>> and ideally an identical HTML codebase.
>
>Yes, yes.  That doesn't answer my question.  Why is linear size the
>important metric there and not angular size?

Perhaps one important reason is that the size of a finger over a 300dpi
touchscreen has no relationship to a button you can activate on the
stadium screen where you could hit it with a truck.

>For the specific examples of TV and jumbotron, angular size seems like a
>much more desirable measure than physical size.  A viewer doesn't care
>that the jumbotron is 100x bigger if it's also 100x further away.

If all you do is view, that's a good point. But for user activation
on the device where the UI is done by physically touching the
content, that content may be more ideal if the hit areas correspond
to the size of a finger, not the size of a fist on a 30" monitor, etc.

Alex