Re: [css-shaders] CSS shaders for custom filters (ACTION-3072)

On Oct 3, 2011, at 2:49 PM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Monday, October 3, 2011, 10:16:02 PM, Gregg wrote:
>
> GTw> What about mouse input?
>
> GTw> It seems like for this proposal to actually work as other CSS works
> GTw> you'd need to run mouse and touch events through the vertex shader so
> GTw> that you get the mouse coordinates translated through the shader.
>
> GTw> Yes? No?
>
> Yes.
>
> All graphics proposals consider the rendering pipeline first and remember the picking pipeline second :)
>
> Same issue for feDisplace, for example.
>
> Note to self, add an feDisplace plus hyperlink test to the test suite.

But it seems that filters (SVG or CSS) have always been thought of as visual effects and as such, don't affect things like layout and positions. I think that's the right choice. Anything else would be too hard or slow to accomplish.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com