Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

From: divya manian <divya.manian@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 12:03:21 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tuesday, October 4, 2011, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Precisely.  JS animations work over specified values, but the
> principle is the same.  You know what the values are, and in the case
> of the display:none element itself, you're not fighting against
> performance optimizations either.

What is the use case for animating elements that are display none? One I can
think of would be to somehow use CSS animations to update (generated)
content on a page and then by setting display to none, you would be
disrupting the update of the content. But it seems like a terrible hack to
do this in any case.