Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <andrew.fedoniouk@live.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 12:15:30 -0700
To: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Kemper
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 10:54 AM
To: Tab Atkins Jr.
Cc: Boris Zbarsky ; Sylvain Galineau ; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and
animations

>On Oct 2, 2011, at 12:48 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>>> display:none is an interesting question.  My main concern is whether
>>> animations should _start_ on display:none elements.  Continuing them on
>>> such
>>> elements seems fine to me.
>>>
>>> Would authors expect an animation to start on a display:none element
>>> before
>>> it's shown?
>>
>> I expect to be able to animate an element to/from display:none, once
>> Transitions is fixed to allow animating all properties.
>
>What did you have in mind for that? Treating 'display: none' as if it was
>roughly equivalent to 'width:0; height:0; box-sizing: border-box'?
>And how would you transition between any two of the other display values?

I used to have exactly the same questions.

Here is practical task: collapsing some items in a list.

I would like transition from display:list-item; to display:none; to
happen with items having display:block; for the time of animation.
Bullets look ugly in dynamic.

As far as I can see :animating pseudo-class or something like that
is the only reasonable solution. As animation per se is a "third state of
CSS matter".

Another example is transition from flow:vertical to flow:horizontal,
that may require even some other layout manager to be applied for the
time of animation.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com