Re: [css3-animations] display:none, visibility:hidden and animations

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 09:24:31 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@mit.edu>  wrote:
>>> display:none is an interesting question.  My main concern is whether
>>> animations should _start_ on display:none elements.  Continuing them on
>>> such
>>> elements seems fine to me.
>>>
>>> Would authors expect an animation to start on a display:none element
>>> before
>>> it's shown?
>>
>> I expect to be able to animate an element to/from display:none, once
>> Transitions is fixed to allow animating all properties.
>
> Then maybe we need a setup for binding animation names that does not involve
> full selector matching and a full CSS cascade.  Otherwise you're imposing
> some significant costs on all display:none users to support an animations
> corner case.

I'm somewhat confused, probably due to lacking some crucial bit of
knowledge.  You still have to do full selector matching and cascading
on display:none elements in order to tell when they shouldn't be
display:none anymore, right?  What optimizations surround this that
make starting animations so hard?