Re: [selectors4] column selector for multi-column columns

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 00:53:49 -0700
To: David Storey <fbnw74@motorola.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM, David Storey <fbnw74@motorola.com> wrote:
> " Added column selectors for styling by association to a table column."
>
> Would the various column selectors apply to columns generated by CSS
> multi-column? The prose mentions cells in 2D grids only, which
> suggests cells in HTML tables (or the equivalent in DocBook).

No, they're only for <table> and equivalent elements in other markup
languages.  Note that they do *not* target columns - they target
elements in a particular column (because the relationship between
cells and columns isn't expressed as a parent/child relationship in
the element-tree).

> Are
> multi-column columns out of scope? The naming of the selector may
> confuse people if they are not targeted. I'd like to be able to target
> them, unless some other selector can already do that in CSS4
> Selectors.

Yes, they're out-of-scope, at least for now.  Targetting elements in a
particular multicol column has some implementation issues, identical
to those of the proposed "element in a particular region" selector for
CSS Regions, and similar to those of ::first-line.