Re: [css3-lists] glyphs in single string

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:47:28 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> So, new proposal based on this:  allow<string>, IDENT, or<image>.
>>
>> Hm, new problem.  In the symbols() function, if IDENTs are allowed,
>> the "as<type>" bit requires lookahead.  There are several ways around
>> this:
>>
>> 1. Disallow the "as" identifier in symbols() (or everywhere?).
>> 2. Change symbols() to put the type first.
>> 3. Remove the ability to specify the type in symbols().
>> 4. Restrict symbols() to only allow strings and images (the full
>> @counter-style can still take idents).
>> 5. Only allow strings and images everywhere.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I suggest doing both 2 and 4. I suggest 2 because if you have a long
> list of symbols, the type gets lost. Putting it first sets the context
> for understanding the list of symbols. Doing 4 means we can expand the
> types later, if we come up with others that we need.

I could use another distinguishing keyword, but I couldn't come up
with a good one.  Instead, I've just gone ahead and followed your
preference.

I've also gone ahead and made 'symbols' and 'additive-symbols' take
idents.  I haven't yet gone through the predefined styles and changed
the ones that no longer need quotes.