Re: [css3 region/page/multicol] naïve questions about breaks

On 29/11/2011 17:57, fantasai wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 08:38 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It occurs to me that I have no idea how the flow of content is broken
>> at region/page/column breaks.
>>
>> css3-regions says[1] in section 4.3:
>>
>> # When a break splits a box, the box's margins, borders, and padding
>> have no visual
>> # effect where the split occurs. However, the margin immediately after
>> a forced
>> # page/column/region break will be preserved. A forced
>> page/column/region break is a
>> # break that does not occur naturally.
>>
>> This is pretty much identical to what css3-page says[2] in 9.0 and
>> what css3-multicol says[3] in 5.1. Unfortunately it's not
>> very enlightening; how does the content split?
>>
>> Presumably a line box is never allowed to be split. [...]
>> Which module is going to define all this?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html#allowed-page-breaks

Oops, somehow I missed that section in both the CSS21 and Pages3 specs :-/
Thanks for the pointer!

> Regions shouldn't need to specify anything except that breaking
> across regions is identical to breaking across pages or columns. (If
> it does specify things, then there will be conflicts across the specs
> as we do things like introduce 'box-decoration-break', so it
> shouldn't do that.)

I completely agree that this should be specified in only one place.  I
was thinking of some long-term ideal in which Regions takes over
responsibility for some of the processing model of pages and multicol.
For now, having it specified in Pages is fine.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net