Re: [CSS21] error in table row heights

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:57:56 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
On 11/22/2011 12:29 PM, fantasai wrote:
> Gérard Talbot recently pointed me at this section, which seems to have an error in it:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#height-layout
> # The height of a 'table-row' element's box is calculated once the user agent
> # has all the cells in the row available: it is the maximum of the row's computed
> # 'height', the computed 'height' of each cell in the row, and the minimum height
> # (MIN) required by the cells. A 'height' value of 'auto' for a 'table-row' means
> # the row height used for layout is MIN. MIN depends on cell box heights and cell
> # box alignment (much like the calculation of a line box height).
> Read literally, it says that 'height' on table cells is ignored unless 'height' on
> the table row is non-auto. That seems wrong.

There's another issue on this sentence, which is whether 'height' on the table cell
is added to its border+padding and then applied as a minimum on the row, or whether
it is directly applied to the row box. It appears we do not have interop on this.
Gérard has written some tests to demonstrate:

He reports that Firefox 7+, Opera 11.52 and Konqueror 4.7.3 render no green in
height-cell-bc-separate (i.e. they apply the 'height' directly to the row box)
whereas IE8, IE9, Chrome 15.0.874.121 and Safari 5.1.1 render a green square
with thick black borders (i.e. they add the cell's border and padding to the
'height' to arrive at the minimum height it contributes to the row).