Re: [css3-layout] PFWG comment 1 of 2 on CSS Template Layout Module: Tab order (for sighted keyboard users).

Hello Michael and others,

I was checking if the CSS Template Layout module was ready for our
webmaster and suddenly saw that I still had two very old messages in
my mailbox that I apparently planned to answer but never did. I'm very
sorry. :-(

It's too late for today's publication, but luckily it is only a WD;
there will be another version later.

Meanwhile, I put some text in the editor's draft. This was your comment:

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 21:10:50 Michael Cooper wrote:
> The following is comment one of two from the Protocols and Formats
> Working Group on the CSS Template Layout Module draft of 29 April
> 2010 <http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-css3-layout-20100429/>. Approval
> to send this as formal WG comments is recorded at
> http://www.w3.org/2010/06/16-pf-minutes.html#item08. Thanks to Léonie
> Watson for preparing these comments.
>
> Current CSS techniques make it possible to separate the visual
> presentation of a page from the source order. This can have both
> positive and negative connotations for accessibility, and the CSS3
> template layout module increases the potential for both.
>
> The attached zip file contains a page with three examples:
>
> 1. Content priority source order, where the source order is content,
> related content, navigation.
> 2. Visual priority source order, where the source order is
> navigation, content, related content.
> 3. Complete mess source order, where the source order is related
> content, navigation, content.
>
> In each case, the visual presentation follows a typical layout for
> sighted users. Navigation on the left, content in the middle, and
> related content on the right.
>
> Examples 1 and 3 use a source order that differs from the visual
> presentation. This causes the tab order through the page to jump
> around, particularly in example 3. Sighted people who only use a
> keyboard may find this movement confusing.
>
> On the other hand, example 1 uses a source order that is helpful to
> screen reader users. The content is placed first in the source order,
> without disrupting the visual presentation.
>
> This isn't a new conundrum, but we're in a good position to encourage
> best practice for accessibility amongst developers. We'd suggest
> adding a short informative section to the template layout module
> that references the following WCAG 2.0 success criteria:
>
> 1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence: When the sequence in which content is
> presented affects its meaning, a correct reading sequence can be
> programmatically determined. (Level A)
> 2.4.3 Focus Order: If a Web page can be navigated sequentially and
> the navigation sequences affect meaning or operation, focusable
> components receive focus in an order that preserves meaning and
> operability. (Level A)

[Attachment omitted]

Maybe you want to check the text that I wrote to see if I understood the
point correctly? See

    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-layout/#accessibility

Bert