Re: [css3 region/page/multicol] naïve questions about breaks

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 08:57:55 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
On 11/28/2011 08:38 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It occurs to me that I have no idea how the flow of content is broken at region/page/column breaks.
>
> css3-regions says[1] in section 4.3:
>
> # When a break splits a box, the box's margins, borders, and padding have no visual
> # effect where the split occurs. However, the margin immediately after a forced
> # page/column/region break will be preserved. A forced page/column/region break is a
> # break that does not occur naturally.
>
> This is pretty much identical to what css3-page says[2] in 9.0 and what css3-multicol says[3] in 5.1. Unfortunately it's not
> very enlightening; how does the content split?
>
> Presumably a line box is never allowed to be split. [...]
> Which module is going to define all this?

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/page.html#allowed-page-breaks

Regions shouldn't need to specify anything except that breaking across regions
is identical to breaking across pages or columns. (If it does specify things,
then there will be conflicts across the specs as we do things like introduce
'box-decoration-break', so it shouldn't do that.)

~fantasai