Re: [css3-ui] drop 'appearance' and related properties

On 11/24/11 7:34 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 8:16 PM, John Daggett<jdaggett@mozilla.com>  wrote:
>> The CSS3 UI module includes a section entitled "Appearance" (currently
>> section 5) [1].  The properties described in this section allow
>> arbitrary elements to mimic the appearance/fonts/colors of system UI
>> elements.

>> I realize both Webkit and Mozilla include prefixed '-xxx-appearance'
>> properties but I'm not sure I see the need to standardize these.  Given
>> the current diversity of UI's in use across desktop and mobile platforms
>> I think this is difficult to standardize in a way that would really
>> serve a worthy purpose.
> In practice, I believe that "appearance:none" is occasionally required
> in some UAs (like WebKit, iirc) to turn off the native rendering of
> some controls and allow full CSS styling.  This is all a big ball of
> undefined behavior, though, so shrug.

I'd like to get them out of CSS-UI and into a more
experimental/exploratory specification
I like that css-ui is getting cleaned up proper.

That said, I really think it's important to maintain these quirks somewhere.
They represent the existing component model.

css-component is a bit long, and css-com might be a strange idea for a name.

-Charles