Re: Paged UIs a la Mobile Navigation

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:00 AM, HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> Still, the UI you're after is similar to what is often used with paged
> mode in apps: gestures are used to move to the left/right, and
> transition effect occur when moving.

Speaking of page change gestures in Opera Reader, I found myself
wishing for a "tap the right edge of the page to move to next page"
interaction that's available in many paged ebook readers. When holding
a tablet by the edges, it's easier to tap the edge region of the page
with a thumb than to swipe.

There's the problem of distinguishing page turn taps from click events
to the page. But touch UIs allow single-finger scrolling for
continuous mode, so precedent for disambiguation between single-finger
site-captured gestures and single-finger browser-captured gestures
already exists. It's probably possible to make single-finger taps map
to page turns if there's no page-provided event handler to catch them
and prevent the default action.

The other feature I felt was missing was an overflow indicator when
there is a next page. That is, when the user doesn't know ahead of
time which sites are continuous and which ones are paged, it might not
always be obvious that the site is paged and has a next page.

In general, I like Opera Reader a lot and can't wait for paged
overflow to become an unprefixed interoperable part of the Web
platform.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi