Re: [css3-lists] Should some properties not inherit into markers?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 07:11:46 -0800
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr.:
>
>> text-transform and font-variant.
>>
>> I think it's reasonable to block text-transform.  It converts between glyphs,
>
> ‘font-variant’ changes glyphs, too. Some values of ‘text-transform’ change characters (but keep letters intact).
>
> A, a, ɑ: three glyphs*, two characters†, one letter
>       * only two in OS X’s Monaco font, though
>       † at least in the roman script, not counting IPA; and don’t get me started on graphemes
> A, a:   another (East-Asian) letter – graphematically equivalent, typographically different

font-variant changes glyphs, but only to stylistic variants.  There's
rarely a semantic difference.  On the other hand, in bicameral
scripts, the case of a marker is often important.

I agree that the fullwidth variants are generally a stylistic variant
only, but I believe that's a minor casualty.  One can always just set
"::marker{ text-transform:inherit; }" to return it to the default
inheritance behavior.

#1 seems too magical to me.  I don't think we should have special
behavior based on prefixes.  I don't believe there's a significant
problem to address that needs #2, #3, or #4.