Re: [css3-*] [css3-box] Box Tree terminology for CSS3 specs

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 14:32:08 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>, www-style@w3.org
On Wednesday 2011-11-23 13:29 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net> wrote:

> > I'm happy with the idea of disentangling these concepts (of course), but I
> > share David's concerns about pseudo-elements.
>
> I don't really share these concerns.  ::before, ::after, ::marker, and
> many other pseudo-elements we have thought about adding are basically
> normal boxes.  It's only ::first-line, and to a somewhat lesser extent
> ::first-letter, that cause problems.  These should be called out
> specially, so that by default all the other well-behaved
> pseudo-elements work normally without us having to go to extra effort
> and verbosity.

And ::selection, and more importantly, region styling (css3-regions).

Why do we need to refer to elements, anyway?  If we switch to using
correct element vs. box terminology, then I don't think we should
have to refer to elements very often outside of defining selectors
and box tree construction (where we generally will want to
distinguish).  So saying "elements and tree-like pseudo-elements"
shouldn't be too hard to say in the small number of cases where it's
needed.

-David