Re: [css3-text] Splitting CSS Text into Level 3 and Level 4

On 11/21/2011 03:00 AM, Florian Rivoal wrote:

>> These features are both already-implemented and required for EPUB:
>
>> * line-break
>
> I am still not a big fan of this one. With the tweaks made to it recently,
> at least I am not too worried about interoperability problems, but I am
> still not a fan of the idea in general,
>
> Is anybody other than EPUB pushing for this? If not, since we decided we
> needed to talk more with them, can we ask them if this solves their use
> cases? If it does, I am still not too enthusiastic, but if it doesn't
> (and I think there is a chance it falls a bit short), I see no need to
> have this at all.

It is also implemented, unprefixed, in IE.

>> * text-justify
>
> I'd push this back. This is useful in a variety of settings, but it is
> complicated, and I am not sure it solves the problems we want solved, nor
> that it will lead to inter-operable implementations. I think this needs
> significantly more discussion.

I don't know of any open issues on this property, other than the request
for more examples, as I addressed all other the feedback that was brought
forward. If you have more issues, you'll have to raise them.

>> * hanging-punctuation
>
> For values none, force-end, and allow-end, I agree to include in level 3.
> But if I recall the use cases correctly, first and last were only useful
> in combination with text-spacing, which you propose (and I agree) to
> defer to level 4, so these 2 values should move to level 4 as well.

"first" and "last" are useful also for Western typesetting. They are
well-defined and implemented. I don't think they should be deferred.

>> * letter-spacing
>> * word-spacing
>
> I'd defer these two. The single value variant, when used on non justified
> text is not a big issue, but how this interacts with justification is
> tricky, especially if you use the 3 value variant, or the advanced
> justification rules proposed in text-justify (which I want to defer to
> level 4).

You'll have to be a lot more specific than that if you want to raise an
issue on this.

~fantasai