@keyframes and vendor prefixes

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:16:00 +0100
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
I wonder if at this time we should not discuss the removal of the
vendor prefix on the @keyframes at-rule itself. I am *not* saying
we should remove the prefixes on the various animation-* properties
but the @keyframes at-rule itself seem to be pretty well defined,
interoperably implemented, and unlikely subject to changes.

I also would like to note that WebKit and Mozilla (I have not checked
IE) have an interoperable Object Model for keyframes:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/dom/interfaces/css/nsIDOMMozCSSKeyframesRule.idl

http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebCore/css/WebKitCSSKeyframesRule.idl

Preserving the vendor prefixes here are a huge burden on web authors'
shoulders since they don't have to duplicate only declarations but a
complete at-rule with all the frames inside. For each vendor prefix
at the at-rule level, they must tweak the prefixed properties inside
the keyframe rules themselves to have prefixed properties matching
the prefix of the at-rule. Urgh for web authors, urgh for content
editors...

The proposal to remove the prefix on @keyframes would leave only the
prefixed declarations in keyframes rules, something similar to the
style rule current situation.

</Daniel>