Re: [css3-background][css3-text] text-shadow computed value

From: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:27:36 -0800
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
On 22/11/11 11:58, Brian Manthos wrote:
> _http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-box-shadow_
> _http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-shadow_
> # Computed value: a color plus three absolute <length>s
> So the 4^th length is omitted from the computed value of text-shadow?
I think it has been mentioned previously in the list that text-shadow
was spec'ed before spread radius was added in box-shadow. Thus, the
text-shadow definition
assumes 3 lengths, even though it doesn't explicitly restrict
text-shadow to 3 lengths. So, technically, a spread radius should be
allowed but the way it should work is not specified anywhere (there was
a recent discussion about spread radius in text-shadow:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Feb/0796.html ).
The only UA currently implementing a spread radius in text-shadow is
Trident.
My point is that the issue you are pointing out with the text-shadow
definition is actually part of a much bigger one.

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)