Re: [css3-lists] upper-hexadecimal vs. hexadecimal & text-transform

Peter Moulder:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 06:59:25PM +0100, Christoph Päper wrote:
>
>>  foo {list-style-type: hexadecimal;)
>>  foo::marker {text-transform: uppercase;}
>
> That works OK for list markers, but not so well for use of counters in
> 'content' values, where the counter is sometimes mixed with text that shouldn't
> be uppercased.

Okay, I forgot about very valid usecases like

  h1 {
    counter-increment: chapter;
    counter-reset:     table;
  }
  table {
    counter-increment: table;
  }
  caption::before {
    content: "Table " counter(chapter, upper-roman)
             "–" counter(table, decimal) ": ";
  }

So let me rephrase the question: Should ‘text-transform’ work on counters (and markers or generated content in general)? I just tried the attached test document in Safari and it doesn’t work.
I guess it’s way too late to change the ‘counter()’ pseudo function grammar to

  ‘counter(’ identifier
       [ ‘,’ <list-style-type>
       [ ‘,’ <text-transform> ]?
       ]?‘)’

and I’m pretty sure I don’t want to suggest a ‘transform()’ function for generated content, because before we know it we would have proposals for ‘color()’, ‘style()’ or ‘font()’.