Re: Levels and modular structure

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:16:58 -0800
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Cc: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Christoph Päper
<christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr.:
>> A UA that doesn't care about the general web can pick and choose what
>> to implement,
>
> I was thinking about those.
>
>> but we don't give any thought to them when designing CSS.
>
> That’s unfortunate.

Shrug.  The set of programs that aren't intended to browse the general
web but do care about CSS is (1) large in an absolute numbers sense
(2) ridiculously tiny in a comparative userbase sense, and (3)
typically completely silent in the standards process.

#1 means we can't practically care about all of them.  #2 means we
*won't* care much about them.  #3 means they don't *make* us care
about them.

So, we don't care about them unless they're high-profile or noisy.
One example of both is the ePub consortium, representing ePub readers
and the ePub 3.0 standard.  They represent a combined userbase within
an order of magnitude of Opera, and within their domain (e-readers)
hold a substantial percentage of the userbase.  They've also been
willing to agitate for representation, so they got some.