RE: Unprefixing CSS properties

[Jon Rimmer:]

> On 18 November 2011 23:44, Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been thinking about this issue for a long time, and I wrote some
> > of my thoughts and ideas here:
> > http://lea.verou.me/2011/11/vendor-prefixes-have-failed-whats-next/
>
> +1 to everything Lea said in this article. Disappointing that for all
> the sound and fury in this thread over the last few days, there has been
> fewer proposed ideas put forward than in her single article.

Let's not get overly negative. This is a fundamental change that will affect
everyone: authors, browser makers and even users. Even if this had never been
a controversial topic for years it would already be a long deliberation.

I think huge progress has been made here; because we moved from tactical 'how'
discussions  - e.g. when to remove prefixes, according to which criteria, whether
to have a single prefix, using mixins ... - to a solid 'why' based on a frank
assessment of the very limited traction of the existing strategy.

Trying to come up with a system that deals with this reality will force us to
think very hard about what issues we're trying to solve. And that reality
also suggests proposals must be scrutinized for built-in features and incentives
for authors to use them correctly. If they could get the current model 'wrong',
then why will they get new idea X right?

I don't expect it will be easy. But that's the best reset of an old tired topic
I've seen in quite a while. So while your frustration as an author is justifiably
much higher than mine, I hope you, Lea and others will hang in there.