Re: [css3-ui] scoping 'nav-index' (or tabindex) for large document use cases

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 08:28:37 -0800
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org
On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> FWIW, there's a proposal to extend tabindex with tabindexscope to address
> the same
> problem: http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-November/033775.html.
> I agree that if we're going to add nav-index, we should also address the
> scoping problem.

I think tabindexscope is a good proposal for HTML, and that we can
pull the functionality into CSS via a similar mechanism, perhaps by
adding a 'contain'/'scope'/'group' keyword to the 'nav-index'
property:

nav-index: <integer> || contain

(Or by doing a separate property, like 'nav-index-contain' or
something.  But that means we have to come up with two keywords.)

The 'contain' value has two effects (these also apply to tabindexscope):

1. The container element acts like a single entity in the tab order
when interacting with its siblings and anyone else in its group.
Giving it an <integer> 'nav-index' value will move its descendants
around as a group in the tab order.
2. 'nav-index' set on its descendants only affects ordering within the
container.