[css3-ui] Aligning 'nav-index' with HTML5 tabindex

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 15:09:35 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: wai-xtech@w3.org
One of the issues that came up in the joint meeting between CSS and
WAI Protocols & Formats at TPAC (on October 31) was the 'nav-index'
property in http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-ui/#nav-index .  (This is
the first of two messages (on different topics) to follow up on that

There was some discussion about aligning it with HTML5.  In
particular, HTML5 introduces additional rules for negative values of
the tabindex attribute:
which should probably be representable via a value in CSS.  It's
probably more CSS-like to call this 'nav-index: none' than to assign
special semantics to negative numbers as HTML does.  (CSS
'nav-index: auto' already corresponds, I believe, to HTML5

Additionally, I suspect some additional changes are needed to align
the description with the one given in HTML5, though I haven't looked
into this closely.  (I did notice that css3-ui refers to content
order as "the order they appear in the character stream", which
doesn't appear to me to be a sensible definition following DOM