Re: Unprefixing CSS properties

In general, I support unprefixing most of these.

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> Selectors 4: :matches, :any-link, :nth-match, :nth-last-match, :column,
>> :nth-column, :nth-last-column
>>

> :matches shipped prefixed in Gecko and Webkit. All of them seem simple and
> stable.

Kind of. There's a number of issues with WebKit's implementation of
:matches at least. Off the top of my head, the specificity should be that
of the matched selector and it's not. This has caused some pages to not be
able to use it.

Also, I really don't believe we should call it :matches. :any is a better
name, it's what both vendors have shipped and it leaves open the
possibility of using :matches for other APIs, e.g. Hixie's :matches
proposal makes sense to me and is totally different than :any (it's
comparable, but richer than the :has proposals).

That all said, if we resolve the specificity issue and call it :any, I
believe it would be stable enough to unprefix.