Re: Public releases prefixes off-by-default (was RE: Unprefixing CSS properties)

On Nov 17, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On 11/18/11 10:37 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> An armed rebellion from Web authors if that ever happened. In spite of all the protests about prefixing, we'd all rather have that mess than to not have the features at all. Otherwise, we wouldn't bother using them until the prefix was dropped. Authors DO use the prefixed properties and values. They squawk, but use them all the same.
>
> In practice, they use them in ways that hurt minority browsers and hurt the web.  That's too bad, but it's the way things are.
>
> For what it's worth, we (Mozilla) are also considering only shipping prefixed properties in non-final releases.

I think that would be fine in the early stages. I hope it doesn't happen for very popular properties and values that languish for years before authors can try them out on the wider Web. I'd hate to see something like CSS3 PIE (http://css3pie.com/) get developed to add CSS3-4 features into Gecko. It is valuable when it works right, but it is a crutch, and has many, many more problems than almost anything natively implemented as part of the 'normal' CSS of a browser. People use it because it is better than doing without.